Sunday, July 8, 2012

Solar Astronomy - First Attempt

WARNING! 
Never view the sun through a telescope or binoculars without the use of a solar filter! You can seriously damage your eyes!

---------------------------------------------------

This afternoon I was watching an episode of Wonders of the Solar System, in which Brian Cox got really excited about a solar eclipse. Being as easily excitable as I am, I couldn't help but get caught up in it, and even though there was not currently an eclipse of any kind happening over Ireland, I dragged out my telescope for a look at the sun! 

Since our failed attempt at viewing the Venus transit in June, I have been itching to get a good look at our nearest star and luckily, today was the first day in at least a month with no rain and few clouds! I stuck my solar filter on and had a look. It's really cool looking at the sun though a scope! There were a few sunspots visible close to the edge of the disc. After much fiddling around, I managed to get a photo that was relatively in focus. 


I upped the contrast to bring out the sunspots and got rid of the chromatic aberration (Here's a tutorial!). There's cloud in the bottom right and the focus is slightly soft. But for a first effort I'm pleased with it.

This is an image from SpaceWeather.com showing the sunspots that were visible while I was shooting.


It was great *finally* getting my telescope out again after weeks of rubbish rain. I even convinced my family to come out for a quick look! A fun evening of sun watching was had by all (but mainly me!)!

No comments:

Post a Comment